Monday, November 2, 2009

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Good: Today, since I was feeling blue (more news about that below), I decided to partake in some retail therapy. I knew that was going to be the only think to make me feel a bit better. Since I have started to experience "baggy butt" in my work pants, I went over to Kohls to see what I could fine. Too my great pleasure, I have dropped a size. My 4th size this year!!!

Bad: Today was also weigh in day. I continue to remain on my plateau and did not drop a single pound. This is very discouraging as I was dropping two pounds a week previously. I blame my plateau on Jasmin's return from Bosnia.

Ugly: During my run after work today I somehow injured my right knee. It is quite painful when I run, and doesn't feel the best when I walk. I only got a mile in today. How disappointing. I hope for a speedy recovery. Until then I will try riding the bike...snoooooooze!

1 comment:

  1. This is the same crap I've had since I was 22 which basically killed my once noble attempts at doing 6-10 miles. More likely than not, you have "runner's knee" and the only way to "cure" or at least fend it off is to build up your quads. (Running--particularly hill running--does wonders for your hamstrings and calves, but very little for your quads.) As you have noticed, it will go away after awhile, but it never fully goes away. You can try and take an anti-inflammatory to ease it a bit, but I'm not sure masking pain is the best way to go. At this "advanced stage" in my life, I rarely veture to go more than 3 miles in a run (though I went 6 a couple of months ago to see if I still could--barely). I would suggest just limiting your overall distance and trying to make the most of your running. If you're trying to drop weight, you should consider working in springs. For example, run 2 minutes at 50% exertion and then kick it up to 75-85% for 30 seconds, slow back down, repeat. Some people do more complex intervals such as 30 seconds at 75%, 20 seconds at 85%, and then go all out for 10 seconds, but I've never been very good at it.

    Anyhow, those are my armchair observations. Given that I have a garbage right knee from years of running abuse, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete